Garrett Patton clinches match with third-set tiebreaker.
April 12, 2014
BOISE, Idaho - Garrett Patton’s third-set tiebreaker lifted Boise State to a 4-3 Mountain West Conference victory over San Diego State Saturday night at the Appleton Tennis Center in Boise. It came down to the final match of the night to decide the winner and Patton came through for Boise State rallying from 5-3 down in the third set to win it with a 9-7 tiebreaker. The 22nd-ranked Broncos won the battle between the top two teams in the conference standings as they improved to 4-0 in league and 23-4 overall, San Diego State fell to 3-1 in the MW and 9-11 on the year.
Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke opened doubles play with a dominating 8-1 victory over SDSU’s Thorsten Bertsch and Juan Florez on court three. They are now 11-4 as a doubles team this year.
That was followed by Brendan McClain and Garrett Patton’s 8-4 victory on court two against Freddy Gelbrich and Hendrik Jebens to clinch the team point for the Broncos and improve to 16-10 as a pair. The third set was abandoned once the team point was decided with Boise State’s Andy Bettles and Thomas Tenreiro up 6-5.
Boise State stretched its lead to 2-0 when McClain dispatched San Diego State’s Milen Ianakiev at No. 5 singles in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. The freshman goes to 25-8 overall and 20-4 in duals this spring.
That was followed moments later by Mitchell’s two-set win on court six 6-2, 6-4 over the Aztecs’ Andranik Khachatryan to make the team score 3-0 in favor of the Blue and Orange. He improved to 19-7 in singles.
San Diego State rallied with three straight victories to tie the match at 3-3. It began when SDSU’s Hunter Nicholas downed Sereke 6-3, 6-4. The Aztecs then recorded wins on court one over Boise State’s Bettles 6-1, 6-4 and court three where the Broncos Tenreiro lost 7-6 (8), 6-3 which tied the match.
That left No. 4 singles where Boise State’s Garrett Patton battled SDSU’s Hendrik Jebens for the decisive point. It was a marathon of a match that went to a third set tiebreaker to be decided. Patton rallied from one set down to force a third set. He rallied again after falling behind 5-3 in the third set to tie it up at 6-6 to push the match into a tiebreaker which he won 9-7 to clinch the victory for the Broncos.
FINAL MATCH SUMMARY
San Diego State (9-11, 3-1 MW) at No. 22 Boise State (23-4, 4-0 MW)
April 12, 2014 at Boise, Idaho (Appleton Tennis Center)
No. 22 Boise State def. San Diego State 4-3
1. Andy Bettles/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) vs. Andranik Khachatryan/Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 6-5, unfinished
2. Brendan McClain/Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Freddy Gelbrich/Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) 8-4
3. Toby Mitchell/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Thorsten Bertsch/Juan Florez (SDSU) 8-1
Order of finish: 3,2
1. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. #85 Andy Bettles (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) 7-6 (10-8), 6-3
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Andranik Khachatryan (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,6,2,1,3,4