Broncos Fall 4-3 in First Round
May 10, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Boise State men’s tennis team’s season came to an end, Friday, when the Broncos fell 4-3 to No. 23 Clemson in the first round of the NCAA Championships.
The back-and-forth match came down to a third set in the finals singles match, a common theme for Boise State this season. With the match tied 3-3 Clemson’s Dominique Maden captured the third set, 6-1 over Filipp Pogostkin to give the Tigers their fourth point.
The match began with Clemson taking the doubles point with wins at No. 2 (8-4) and No. 3 (8-1) despite the Bronco duo of Bettles/Sereke up a break against the No. 11-ranked team of Maden/Maden. Although Boise State fell into the 1-0 hole early, hope was still alive, as the Broncos have come back six times after dropping the doubles point, most recently in the Mountain West Tournament final.
Garrett Patton put the Broncos on the winning track with a victory at No. 6, 6-4, 6-4 to tie the match at one point apiece.
After Hunter Harrington put Clemson up 2-1 by holding off Nathan Sereke, 6-4, 7-5, Thomas Tenreiro leveled the score with a win at No. 5. Tenreiro defeated Zachary Rigsby, 7-5, 6-2 to end his freshman campaign on a 19-match win streak and a 24-3 overall record.
The Broncos and Tigers would trade points again as Scott Sears’ late charge was not enough in a 6-4, 6-4 defeat but Andy Bettles would bring the match to 3-3 with an upset win (6-4, 6-1) against No. 23 Yannick Maden.
Boise State finished the season with a 20-10 record. It marks the second-consecutive year the Broncos have been ousted in the first round of NCAA Tournament by a 4-3 final, losing to Florida State in 2012.
No. 23 Clemson 4, No. 42 Boise State 3
First Round of the NCAA Championships
1. No. 40 Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. No. 23 Yannick Maden (CU) 6-4, 6-1
2. No. 105 Hunter Harrington (CU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Gerardo Meza (CU) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Dominique Maden (CU) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Zachary Rigsby (CU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-4, 6-4
1. No. 11 Dominique Maden/Yannick Maden (CU) vs. Andrew Bettles/Nathan Sereke (BSU) 3-4, unfinished
2. Zachary Rigsby/Ayrton Wibowo (CU) def. Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) 8-4
3. Hunter Harrington/Gerardo Meza (CU) def. Aidan Reid/Toby Mitchell (BSU) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,2,5,3,1,4)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Chairback Rentals
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE