April 3, 2014
- Boise State’s sand volleyball program begins its inaugural campaign this weekend when the Broncos travel to Sacramento, Calif., to participate in the Sacramento State Invitational Friday through Sunday.
- The Broncos will play their inaugural match against 9th-ranked Saint Mary’s (4-0) at 4 p.m. (Mountain) on Friday.
The Tournament Field
- Joining Boise State in Sacramento will be the host Sacramento State, as well as California, Cal Poly, Pacific, Saint Mary’s, San Francisco and Santa Clara.
- Of the eight teams competing Boise State and Cal Poly are first year programs while the other six are in their second year of sand volleyball.
- Boise State will play a total of five matches at the Sacramento State Invitational this weekend. Those teams are Saint Mary’s, Cal Poly (0-0), Pacific (3-1), Santa Clara (3-3) and Sacramento State (0-1).
- Boise State will not play either California or San Francisco during the tournament.
The Bronco Tournament Schedule
Friday (April 4)
4 p.m. vs. Saint Mary’s
7 p.m. vs. Cal Poly
Saturday (April 5)
10 a.m. vs. Pacific
4 p.m. vs. Santa Clara
Sunday (April 6)
12 p.m. at Sacramento State
Boise State Sand Volleyball Notebook
- Boise State will be taking 12 of its 13 team members on the road to Sacramento State this weekend.
- Perhaps the hardest challenge for the coaches will be to decide how to break those 12 up into two-person teams. At this time the make-up of the five pairs that will represent the Broncos in the inaugural match is a game time decision.
- About half of the roster has experience playing competitive sand volleyball in high school.
- Once the teams are decided upon the coaches will need to rank them on order of ability 1-5, with the number one team being the top team in ability.
- Making things even harder for the coaches is the fact that their first ever opponent is nationally ranked tied for ninth place out of 42 teams nationwide in the Saint Mary’s Gaels who enter the tournament 4-0.
- Boise State’s unofficial parings could look like the following, but this list is not ranked in order of ability.
Addition of Sand Volleyball
- Boise State University Executive Director of Athletics Mark Coyle announced on Aug. 29, 2013 the addition of women’s sand volleyball to the list of sports sponsored by the Broncos.
- Sand volleyball gives Boise State 20 intercollegiate teams.
- Boise State was the first school to add sand volleyball in the Pacific Northwest and Intermountain regions, as well as the Mountain West Conference.
- Since the Boise State announcement the University of Oregon and University of Washington have added the sport in the Pacific Northwest region, additionally, San Jose State became the second Mountain West school to add sand volleyball.
Make Up of Team
- The NCAA allows six sand volleyball specific scholarships to be awarded. However, Boise State will not be offering any of them for the time being.
- The Bronco sand volleyball team is made up of members from Boise State’s indoor team.
- This spring there will be 13 players on the inaugural squad: no seniors, three juniors, four sophomores and six freshmen.
- The NCAA limits the number of coaches to two, a head coach and one assistant.
- Shawn Garus will serve as the head coach of both the indoor and sand teams.
- Boise State alumnae Breann Crowell will serve as the sand volleyball assistant coach.
- Candy Murphy will be the director of operations for the sand team. Murphy is the top assistant for the indoor team.
- Alisha Young will serve as a volunteer assistant for the program. Young is also a Boise State alumnae.
- Boise State will compete on three weekends during the month of April and in a total of 11 matches at this time.
- The Broncos will play their entire 2014 schedule on the road.
- The first match in program history will occur on Friday, April 4, at 4 p.m. in Sacramento, Calif., versus the Saint Mary’s Gaels.
- The Broncos will play a total of five Pacific 12 Conference programs in its inaugural campaign, all but one are first year programs. Those teams include: Southern California (3rd year), Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon and Washington.
- Boise State is scheduled to play two top-10 programs this year in current No. 9 Saint Mary’s (April 4) and No. 1 Southern California (April 26).
- Boise State currently practices on campus at a University owned court located on the eastside of Lincoln Avenue behind the new university apartments.
- The court is located on the block surrounded by Lincoln on the west, Beacon on the south, Michigan on the east and Belmont (Lincoln Parking Garage) on the north.