April 7, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Boise State women’s tennis team fell 6-1 at No. 55 San Diego State Sunday afternoon in a Mountain West Conference match at the Aztec Tennis Center. Sandy Vo led the Broncos with a win at No. 2 singles to give Boise State its only point on the day. The loss dropped Boise State to 10-7 on the year and 1-2 in league play, while San Diego State improved to 14-4 overall and 2-0 in conference.
“We played a tough match today and got off to a better start in doubles. Unfortunately we couldn’t pull out the doubles point,” said head coach Beck Roghaar. “They came out firing in singles, but we showed some grit and determination coming back and winning second sets at one, three and five. We had more than a glimmer of hope at that point with Sandy’s win at two, but in the end we didn’t quite sustain the level we needed to get over the top.”
San Diego State claimed the doubles point winning two of the three matches. The Pietzuch twins, Manuela and Marlena, pulled out the lone victory for the Broncos on court one defeating the Aztecs top duo of Laura Antonana Iriarte and Michela Casanova 8-3 to give the blue and orange the early lead. Unfortunately, the Aztecs rallied to get wins on court two and court three by scores of 8-5 and 8-4, respectively, to earn the team point.
The Broncos found themselves down two points when SDSU’s Michela Casanova downed Sammie Watson 6-3, 6-2 on court six. Boise State closed the deficit to one when Vo recorded the Broncos lone win of the day when she defeated Alicia Aguilar at No. 2 singles 6-3, 6-2.
Morgan Basil lost a hard contest on court four to Kristin Buth 6-1, 7-5. That was followed by a trio of tight three set losses including the match clincher on court three where Iriarte downed the Broncos’ Teal Vosburgh 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
The match closed with Boise State’s Marlena Pietzuch falling 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 1 singles and a 6-1, 5-7, 6-2 loss by Megan LaLone on court five.
FINAL MATCH SUMMARY
Boise State (10-7, 1-2 MW) at No. 55 San Diego State (14-4, 2-0 MW)
April 7, 2013 at San Diego, Calif. (Aztec Tennis Center)
San Diego State def. Boise State 6-1
1. Marlena Pietzuch/Manuela Pietzuch (BSU) def. Laura Antonana Iriarte/Michela Casanova (SDSU), 8-3
2. Julia Wais/Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Sandy Vo/Morgan Basil (BSU), 8-5
3. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) def. Megan LaLone/Teal Vosburgh (BSU), 8-4
(Order of finish: 1, 2, 3)
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Teal Vosburgh (BSU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Morgan Basil (BSU), 6-1, 7-5
5. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Megan LaLone (BSU), 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Sammie Watson (BSU), 6-3, 6-2
(Order of finish: 6, 2, 4, 3, 1, 5)