Oct. 29, 2013
- Boise State (10-11, 4-7 MW) concludes its five-match homestand this week when No. 9 Colorado State (19-0, 10-0 MW) and Wyoming (14-10, 4-6 MW) come to Bronco Gym to start the second half of the league schedule.
- The Broncos will open the week on Thursday night at 7 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) in Bronco Gym against Colorado State who is undefeated and ranked ninth nationally.
- Boise State will close the homestand on Saturday at 7 p.m. when the Broncos host Wyoming (14-10, 4-6 MW).
- The Broncos enter the week in eighth-place in the league standings, while Colorado State leads and Wyoming is in seventh, a half match ahead of Boise State.
MW PRESEASON POLL
- In relation to the three Mountain West schools involved this weekend the MW coaches predicted Colorado State to place second, Boise State seventh and Wyoming eighth during the 2013 league race.
- Live stats for this weekend’s matches will be available via “GameTracker” links at http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-volley/sched/bosu-w-volley-sched.html.
- Live video for both of the Broncos’ matches this weekend will be available online through the “Mountain West Network” at www.broncosports.com/videos.
MATCH 22, Colorado State Match Notes
- Thursday’s match with Colorado State will be the eighth all-time and sixth in MW play in the series, the Rams have won the previous seven encounters.
- The Rams defeated the Broncos 3-0 in Fort Collins earlier this year.
- Colorado State enters the week ranked 9th nationally and is 19-0 overall and 10-0 in league play, good for first-place.
- Colorado State leads the league on the year and is sixth nationally in hitting percentage at 29.8 percent.
- Marlee Reynolds leads CSU and is ranked seventh in the MW for kills per set at 3.12 (212 total kills), followed by Adrianna Culbert at 3.10 kps (198 kills) and Samantha Peters at 2.56 kps while leading the MW and ranked 27th nationally in hitting percentage at 40.2 percent.
- CSU returned three starters and nine letterwinners from 2012.
MATCH 23, Wyoming Match Notes
- Saturday’s Wyoming-Boise State encounter will be the 17th all-time and sixth in MW play between these two programs, the Cowgirls currently hold a small 9-7 edge in the series.
- Boise State leads the series in matches played at Boise 3-1.
- The Cowgirls will play at Utah State on Thursday prior to their encounter with the Broncos.
- In the first meeting of the year on Oct. 10 Wyoming defeated Boise State 3-0 in Laramie.
- The home team won both meetings last year between the Broncos and Cowgirls.
- Wyoming enters the week at 14-10 overall, 4-6 in league play which is good for seventh-place, the Cowgirls 6-8 on the road.
- Last week Wyoming split a pair of home contests defeating San Jose State 3-1 before falling to Fresno State 3-0.
- The Cowgirls are led by Erin Kirby with 315.0 points on 223 kills and league-high 164 blocks, followed by Reese Plante with 283.0 points on 220 kills, 27 service aces and 65 blocks.
- Wyoming returned four starters, the libero and eight letterwinners from 2012.
BOISE STATE TEAM NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 10-11 overall and 4-7 in MW play heading into this week’s matches. The Broncos are 4-5 at home and 6-6 on the road in 2013.
- Recent Opponents: The Broncos lost a pair of home matches last week 3-2 to UNLV and 3-0 to San Diego State.
- Bronco Week Nine Leaders: Last week the Broncos were led by senior Sarah Horton who recorded a team-high 20 kills along with five blocks. Alyssa Gammel was close behind with 19 kills to go with 19 digs, while Taylor Murphey had a third-best 15 kills.
- Offensively as a Team in Week Nine: The Broncos hit 14.6 percent last week with 92 kills to average 11.5 per set to go with 86 assists and seven aces.
- Defensively as a Team in Week Nine: The Broncos held the opponents to a combined 24.2 percent hitting and recorded 18 blocks with 87 digs.
- CAREER TOP-10 RECORD: Setter Casey Rose recorded 31 assists at Nevada on Oct. 17 to move into ninth-place on the Bronco career assists list with 1,704 passing Mindy Bennett (2001-04). The senior now has 1,745 and needs to reach 1,862 to tie for eighth.
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-4 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State, defeated Belmont, lost at No. 13 Colorado State and lost to San Diego State in Boise.
- National Rankings: As of Oct. 27, the Broncos are ranked 68th nationally in hitting percentage (23.9 pct.) and 95th in assists per set (12.39 aps).
- Mountain West Rankings: As of Oct. 27, Boise State enters the week ranked second in hitting percentage (23.9 pct.) on the year. It is ranked second in service aces (1.28 saps) per set, as well as fifth in assists (12.39 aps) and sixth in kills (13.11 kps).
- The Head Coach: Shawn Garus is in his fifth season in charge of the Broncos where he is 72-75 to go with a career record 187-195.